Crochet Finishing Techniques Workshop with tutor, Claire Montgomerie
Saturday 1st April 2023 | 10am - 4pm
Many crocheters, especially beginners, tend to apologise for their projects, pointing out every perceived ‘flaw’ or mistake. These imperfections do add to the handmade charm of the fabric, but nonetheless, there are ways you can improve your technique to neaten your fabric, there are cute edgings you can hook to hide messy row ends and pretty seaming techniques to try ensuring you avoid marring a well-made fabric with the finishing touches.
The edges of your fabric are the most likely area for untidiness, as well as seams, colour changes and those pesky yarn tails, so this workshop will take a look at all those things and more, giving tips and advice in order that you can take your crochet to the next level.
There will be a few samples to prepare in advance of the class to enable you to practice edgings and seams, but it is also a great idea to bring along UFOs, projects that need to be seamed or finished off neatly, or projects that you have questions about so that these can be worked on too.
Techniques to be covered:
• Neatening the sides of your fabric - working in different ways at the beginning and end of your row.
• Crochet Edgings - basic guide and tips for creating neat edges along crochet and other fabrics, plus the chance to try out decorative crochet edgings such as crab stitch and picot.
• Weaving in ends.
• Changing colour neatly - especially when working in the round.
• Crocheting together seams using different techniques including join as you go methods.
• Different ways to start your work to create neat edges.
You will need to do a little homework in advance using any DK yarn - one granny square to be made to round 4 . Then 3 squares to be made to round 3. You will also need to bring a 4mm hook, stitch markers, sewing up needle and scissors. Yarn will be provided on the day.
Skill level: Improver, participants must at least know the basic stitches, UK double crochet, half treble and treble crochet.
There are 10 places on this workshop.
- Yarn, refreshments and lunch will be provided on the day.
- A special 10% discount voucher. This can be used once in store, exclusions include workshops, Scheepjes, gift cards and colour packs.
- This workshop requires a little homework of swatches.
- Once purchased you will receive a letter explaining more about the day. Letters will be sent out nearer to the workshop date.
N.B. Sometimes due to circumstances beyond our control workshops and events may be cancelled. At which point the cost of your workshop will be fully refunded. We cannot be held liable for any travel costs incurred.
Please note if you choose to make a cancellation within 7 days of the event, you will still be charged.